The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has deployed intelligent transportation systems (ITS) field devices, traffic signal equipment, and telecommunications systems throughout the state. These ITS deployments are comprised of a complex network of fiber optic and electrical cables, wireless paths, electronics, and field devices that are constantly changing through system expansions, routine maintenance, and equipment upgrades. FDOT has deployed the ITS Facility Management System (ITSFM) to manage the statewide communication network and a wide range of transportation industry equipment assets.
FDOT established a robust training program that includes:
- Computer-based Training (CBT) and Instructor-led Training (ILT) curriculum for students seeking viewer, maintainer, or editor user credentials to log into the ITSFM system.
- ILT classes for individuals responsible for as-built data collection and acceptance testing for new construction and maintenance projects.
How to Request Training
ITSFM training is provided by the FDOT Central Office upon written request from any District transportation systems management and operations (TSM&O) engineer or authorized representative to the Central Office.
Viewer, maintainer, and editor students must submit the ITSFM User Authorization Form including the completed user information section with their request. To obtain ITSFM user credentials, these applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Pass a Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) or the State Law Enforcement Radio System (SLERS) background check
- Purchase a license to use FDOT’s Learning Curve learning management system to be enrolled in the CBT training
- Complete ITSFM CBT/ILT training
- Pass the final exam for the viewer, maintainer, or editor role at the ILT class
FDOT Central Office will send an invitation to complete training after the conditions listed above are met and training has been scheduled. After logging into the Learning Curve Learning Management System (LMS), a dashboard will be displayed for each student that details his/her status in the training curriculum. In addition to providing access to CBT lessons, the Learning Curve LMS will serve as a content repository for training job aids and the latest version of the ITSFM User Manual.
Contractors seeking as-built data collection or acceptance-testing training typically do not need ITSFM user credentials; therefore, they are not required to complete the background check or CBT. These students will be enrolled in the appropriate ILT based on their data collection role.
For more information, please contact an ITSFM trainer at FDOT-ITSFM-Trainer@dot.state.fl.us