The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) coordinates directly with Florida's non-metropolitan local governments, those located outside of a designated metropolitan planning area, to address their transportation planning needs. The resources on this page reflect FDOT's efforts to enhance coordination and cooperation with non-metropolitan local governments in the transportation planning process.
Florida's Rural Planning Process
This report, A Review of Florida's Non-Metropolitan Transportation Planning Process, complies with Title 23 of the United States Code of Federal Regulations, Section 450 (23 CFR § 450) which requires each state to review its process for consulting with non-metropolitan local officials during the development of its Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP), which is the Florida Transportation Plan (FTP) and the Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan (STIP). This report to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) is FDOT's 2019 five-year review of its process for consulting with non-metropolitan local officials in the transportation planning process.
FDOT Rural Transportation Planning Resources
- The Florida Transportation Plan
- Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) information from the FDOT Office of Work Program and Budget, including a Work Program/STIP Public Involvement flow chart
- Partnering with FDOT: A Resource Guide for Local Governments
Rural Transportation Funding Sources
- FDOT's Local Programs office administrates available funding for construction and maintenance of Florida's rural transportation resources. These programs include:
- FDOT's Systems Implementation Office administers the Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside of the Surface Transportation Block Grant Programs. Program and project eligibility guidance is available here.
- FDOT's Transit Office administrates available State and Federal funding specific to Florida's rural areas. Information regarding these grant opportunities is available here.
- Florida's Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) offers rural transportation funding resources to the state's rural areas, including the:
- US DOT Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) Grants
- US DOT Rural Opportunities to Use Transportation for Economic Success (ROUTES)
Rural Economic Development Initiative and FDOT Contacts
The Rural Economic Development Initiative (REDI) established in Section 288.0656, Florida Statutes, serves Florida's economically distressed rural communities by providing a more focused and coordinated effort among state and regional agencies that provide programs and services for rural areas.
- FDOT Contacts
- FDOT Recruitment
- Florida Transportation Performance
- FDOT Statement of Agency Organization and Operation
For more information on rural planning, contact Erika Thompson at (850) 414-4807 or Erika.Thompson@dot.state.fl.us.