School Zone Speed Detection System
Pursuant to Section 316.0776, Florida Statutes (F.S.), the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) may approve the placement or installation of a Speed Detection System (SDS) in a School Zone on the State Highway System (SHS), as defined in Section 334.03(24), F.S. SDS installations on the SHS must be authorized through a General Use Permit in accordance with Rule 14-20.010 of the Florida Administrative Code. The following criteria apply to the SDS permit applications:
- The permit applicant must be a County or Municipality as authorized by Section 316.008(9), F.S. However, the permit application may be submitted by an authorized representative of a County or Municipality upon submittal of a certified letter from the County or Municipality authorizing the individual to submit the permit application on the agency’s behalf.
- Approval of the placement or installation of an SDS is subject to the Special Provisions to General Use Permit for the Installation of School Zone SDSs on the SHS. Please review the Special Provisions prior to submitting a permit application.
- Applications may be submitted using FDOT’s online permitting system, One Stop Permitting (https://osp.fdot.gov/), or by completing the FDOT Form 850-040-05 (https://pdl.fdot.gov/Forms). Applicants are encouraged to contact the local FDOT Operations Center prior to submitting a permit application. Contact information can be found on FDOT’s One Stop Permitting website (https://osp.fdot.gov/Permit-Office-Locations).
- Installation and removal of an SDS is at the sole expense of the Permittee.
- An approved General Use Permit for SDSs in a School Zone will be valid for five years.
- Any approved SDS shall be installed in accordance with the FDOT SDS Placement and Installation Specifications.