Intended for the safe movement of motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic, signs regulate, warn, guide, and provide information about roadway services.
Section 316.0745 of the Florida Statutes assigns the FDOT responsibility for adopting a uniform system of traffic control devices of all locations where the public travels. In Florida, signs intended to control traffic must comply with the national standards published by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) found in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Standard Highway Signs supplement.
States may further define sign designs specific for use within their own jurisdictions when the criteria is in substantial compliance with the MUTCD. The details regarding the design, installation and specifications for signs adopted by the FDOT in our Traffic Engineering Manual , the Design Standards, and Standard Specifications for Highway Signs. Florida's Highway Guide Sign Program contains adopted criteria regarding eligibility for destination guide signing.
The FDOT's Highway Signing Team is composed of representatives from every District Traffic Operations Office, Roadway Design, Maintenance, and the State Sign Shop. This partnering provides an open venue for discussion of signing for traffic control as a dynamic component of roadway safety and an essential means of communication.
For more information about the FDOT Highway Signing Program, click on the links below. Or check our Frequently Asked Questions section.
FDOT Highway Signing Program Links
- Approved Safety Messages for Changeable Message Signs (Only approved messages are to be allowed on the State Highway System by any agency. Director of Traffic Engineering and Operations office must approve all proposed new messages prior to use on the State Highway System. See Procedure 000-750-15 )
- Chapter 14-15.010, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.)
- Standard Plans for Road Construction Indexes (see 700 series)
- FHWA MUTCD
- FHWA SHS
- Florida Control Cities
- Florida's Highway Sign Library
- Florida's Interstate Exit Numbers
- Florida Statute 316.0745
- Rule 14-51, F.A.C., Florida's Highway Guide Sign Program
- Rules of the State of Florida - Dept. of Transportation
- Standard Specifications for Highway Signs ( See 700 series)
- Traffic Engineering Manual
- Tourist Oriented Directional Signing Program for Rural Roads
For additional information please contact Dana Knox at Dana.Knox@dot.state.fl.us