On a decennial basis (every 10 years) following every Census, FDOT in coordination with FHWA and local partners are required to update Urban Boundary and Functional Classification for the State of Florida. The Transportation Data and Analytics (TDA) Office acquires the U.S. Census population and urban boundary data for 2020 to develop maps with the appropriate projection and content for distribution. TDA compiles the boundaries into a statewide GIS layer, resolving data conflicts such as overlaps and gaps between District boundaries.
The Districts and local partners use this information for coordination purposes and to adjust the 2020 Urban Area boundaries around current land use conditions. These adjustments are reviewed by Central Office before they are submitted for approval by FHWA.
The Districts also work with local partners to inventory roadways and update existing roadways in the Roadway Characteristics Inventory (RCI) system with proposed functional classifications in relation to the urban area boundaries for FDOT and HPMS data reporting systems. These roadways are reviewed following the urban area boundary adjustment process and are submitted to FHWA for review and approval. The Functional Classification of roadways are critical for Federal-Aid eligibility (roadways, bridges, and transit projects) and are assigned into systems according to the character of service they provide in relation to the total roadway network, e.g., principal arterials, minor collectors, etc.
The official statewide review and adjustment of the Urban Area Boundary is underway now. May 31, 2024, is the deadline for Districts to submit their adjusted urban area boundaries to the TDA Office. Functional Classification modifications are preferred to be completed simultaneously but may be submitted later (i.e., after FHWA approves the adjusted urban area boundaries).
- 2010 Urban Boundary and Functional Classification Maps
- 2013 Functional Classification Guidance
- 2013 FHWA Edition - Highway Functional Classification Concepts, Criteria and Procedures
- 2020 Estimated Schedule of Activities
- 2020 Final Urban Area Criteria
- 2020 UABFC Info Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FDOT Frequently Asked Questions
- FHWA Frequently Asked Questions
- District Urban Area Boundary and Functional Classification Webinar PDF | PPT | YouTube
- U.S, Census Bureau Frequently Asked Questions
- U.S. Census Bureau Urban and Rural information
- Metropolitan Planning Program Staff (District MPO Liaisons) – PDF
- Urban Areas for the 2020 Census
- Urban Area Boundary and Functional Classification Handbook - PDF 1.76 MB - August 2023
- Urban Area Boundary and Functional Classification Procedure - PDF 283 KB - May 2023
User FeedbackIf you should have any questions, comments or suggestions regarding the 2020 Census Roadway Data Updates, please contact the:
For update process inquires, please reach out to our Statewide Coordinators:
Counties: Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Lee, Manatee, Okeechobee, Polk, Sarasota
Counties: Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Levy, Madison, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns, Suwannee, Taylor, Union
Counties: Bay, Calhoun, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Leon, Liberty, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Wakulla, Walton, Washington
Counties Broward, Indian River, Martin, Palm Beach, St. Lucie
Counties: Brevard, Flagler, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Sumter, Volusia
Counties: Miami-Dade, Monroe
Counties: Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas
Counties: Brevard, Broward, Citrus, Clay, Duval, Hernando, Hillsborough, Indian River, Lake, Martin, Miami-Dade, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Polk, St. Lucie, Sumter