In 2012, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) in collaboration with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) sponsored Systems Engineering training via workshops at multiple locations throughout the state.These workshops were open to all public sector participants and their private sector consultants under contract for intelligent transportation systems (ITS) project development.
The purpose of this workshop was to promote the benefits of using systems engineering in ITS projects; how to be compliant with the requirements of FHWA Rule 940; and how to work with other offices with the systems engineering process.
This workshop used the Systems Engineering for Intelligent Transportation Systems Handbookas a primary reference. The workshop provided information needed to apply the general systems engineering guidance from this handbook to an organization and the project delivery process. At the conclusion of the workshop, the participants had developed a summary of actions or next steps to improve the use of systems engineering in ITS deployments. The workshop was provided in the following sessions:
- Session 1 Welcome and Introductions
- Session 2 Process Overview
- Session 3 Systems Engineering "V" Process
- Session 4 Cross-Cutting Activities
- Session 5 Applying Systems Engineering to a Project
- Session 6 Establishing Systems Engineering in Your Organization
- Session 7 Process Improvement Review
- Session 8 Wrap-Up
In 2003, FDOT completed the first phase of a project aimed at defining a consistent systems engineering approach through a documented Process Review and Appraisal of the Systems Engineering Capability for FDOT.
Phase II utilized the work completed in Phase I to develop the Florida's Statewide Systems Engineering Management Plan. The Systems Engineering Management Plan enables an ITS engineer to manage a project using systems engineering principles and methods to maximize the quality of the system being implemented, while minimizing the budget and schedule required for its completion.
The Florida Department of Transportation Systems Engineering and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Procedure #750-040-003 provides FDOT, other state agency, and local agency information on carrying out the systems engineering process for the delivery of ITS projects, including the use of the Systems Engineering templates as applicable.
Following are links to the Systems Engineering template documents:
- Concept of Operations Template
- Configuration and Data Management Plan Template
- Hardware Development Plan Template
- Human Factors Engineering Project Plan Template
- Integrated Logistics Support Plan Template
- Operational Development Plan Template
- Program Management Plan Template
- Project Performance Management Plan Template
- Project Systems Engineering Management Plan Template
- Quality Management Plan Template
- Reliability and Maintainability Program Plan Template
- Requirements Traceability Verification Test Matrix (RTVM)
- Risk Management Plan Template
- Scope of Services Template
- Security Engineering Plan Template
- Software Development Plan Template
- Subcontract Management Plan Template
- System and Subsystem Requirements Template
- System Test Plan Template
- System Validation
- System Verification
- Test Procedures Template
- Test Report Template
For additional information, please contact James Landini at James.Landini@dot.state.fl.us.