FDOT Florida Scenic Highways Program contribute to economic development (click SSHB to learn more).
- Beautification Grants
- District Contacts
- Florida Scenic Highways
- Historical Calendars
- Useful Links
- Wildflower Program
Article II, section 7(a), Florida Constitution - "It shall be the policy of the state to conserve and protect its natural resources and scenic beauty."
Section 334.044 (26) Florida Statutes - "The department shall have the powers and duties to...conserve the natural roadside growth and scenery; and to provide for the implementation and maintenance of roadside conservation, enhancement, and stabilization programs. No less than 1.5 percent of the amount contracted for construction projects shall be allocated by the department for the purchase of plant materials...."
FDOT Highway Beautification Policy - "It is the policy of the Florida Department of Transportation to conserve, protect, restore, and enhance Florida's Natural resources and scenic beauty when constructing and maintaining the State Highway System. Under this policy, Florida can have:
- The nation's most beautiful highways that attract and grow business.
- Safe roadsides that are durable, and ecologically and economically sustainable.
- Measurable returns on investments that grow in value over time.
In carrying out this policy, the Department will:
- Make highway beautification everyone's business.
- Accommodate existing and proposed trees and other long lived plants by consistently integrating landscape conservation and highway beautification into the processes that are used to plan, design, construct, and maintain roadways.
- Utilize design strategies that enhance Florida's distinctive sense of place, create lasting curb appeal, and minimize the cost to conserve and maintain high quality landscapes.
- Accept responsibility for maintenance of the state's highest priority landscapes, as established by the Department, when necessary to implement this policy.
- Develop and implement a system to track costs and accomplishments of programs contributing to highway beautification.