All modes of traffic cross paths as they travel through or turn from one route to another, and the points where different paths separate, cross, or join are known as conflict points. Intersections are designed points of conflict in all roadway systems. Limiting the number of conflict points at an intersection not only reduces the frequency and severity of crashes, but also improves the overall operation and mobility.In 2015, Florida ranked as the #1 state in the country with the most intersection-related traffic fatalities. With over 30 percent of all traffic fatalities occurring from intersection-related crashes, the Florida Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) identifies intersection safety as one of the top emphasis areas for the state. In response to this call to action, and with direction from leadership, FDOT has developed an Intersection Control Evaluation (ICE) manual to aid in this effort.
The ICE process quantitatively evaluates several intersection control scenarios (alternatives) and ranks these alternatives based on their operational and safety performance. Implementing a “performance-based” procedure such as ICE creates a transparent and consistent approach to consider intersection alternatives based on metrics such as safety, operations, cost, and social, environmental, and economic impacts.
- 2024 FDOT ICE Manual (effective 01/01/2024). Please view ICE Bulletin 23-02 for a description of the revisions to the 2024 ICE manual.
- 2023 FDOT ICE Manual
FDOT CAP-X Tool
FDOT-modified Capacity Analysis at Junctions (CAP-X) spreadsheet tool that can be used to compare operational performance of different intersection alternatives as part of the initial ICE stage.
FDOT SPICE Tool
FDOT-modified Safety Performance for ICE (SPICE) spreadsheet tool for safety performance evaluations, which are required for stages 1 and 2 of the ICE process.
FDOT ICE Tool
FDOT ICE Tool for comparing life-cycle cost and benefit of intersection alternatives during the final stage.
- Continuous Green T-Section
- Displaced Left-Turn
- Diverging Diamond
- Median U-Turn
- Quadrant Roadway
- Restricted Crossing U-Turn
Scope of Services and Staff Hour Estimation
- Staff Hour Estimation - This document (including ICE guidelines, ICE analysis and ICE plans) provides detailed information on intersection control evaluation, breaking down the activities and tasks that can appear in a scope document, along with recommended staff hour ranges to provide a detailed effort of the intersection control evaluation.
- Scope of Services - Use this file to prepare the scope of services for an intersection control evaluation project. The scope file is the complete Standard Scope which includes services to be performed, submittal/deliverables, reporting, length of service, and fee estimate. All changes and/or additions to the Standard Scope shall be made in bold-italics to help draw attention to the users of project specific changes.
- Reference links:
- ICE Training Materials
- Intersection Control Example Videos
- 2021 Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP)
- Crash Modification Factors Clearinghouse
- Fatality Analysis Reporting System
- FHWA Intersection Safety
- FHWA Unsignalized Intersection Improvement Guide (UIIG)
- Highway Safety Manual
- SSO Safety Engineering Site
- Signal 4 Analytics
For additional information, please contact the State Traffic Services Section at StateTrafficServicesSection@dot.state.fl.us .