St. Johns Electric Company Streetcar to South Beach 1915

 

St. Johns Electric Company Streetcar (55 k)

 

This trestle bridge, which was built in 1895, initially carried passenger cars pushed by a steam engine from St. Augustine across the Matanzas River to the Anastasia Island Beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. This photo shows a double-track closed electric trolley car headed toward the beach around 1915. Trolley service ended in 1930 when buses began providing passenger car service across the new Bridge of Lions.