EMERGENCY TRAVEL ALERT:
For information on the current situation, please visit the following - Alerts.
Office of Environmental Management / OEM Resources / Native American / Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
"A dialogue to build partnerships and address transportation-related issues of concern to agencies and federally-recognized Indian tribes"
In 1856, the U.S. government established the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma in Indian Territory. They are historically associated with the Seminole Tribe of Florida and represent the more than 3,000 Seminoles who were removed from Florida by the U.S. government at the end of the Seminole Wars in the 1800s.
The Seminole Nation considers Florida its ancestral home and has historical and cultural connections to the state. The tribal headquarters are located at Wewoka (meaning Barking Waters), which is the county seat of Seminole County. The Seminole Nation of Oklahoma currently has around 12,000 enrolled tribal members, of which about 60 percent live within or near the Seminole Nation boundaries. Except for about 700 not living in Oklahoma, the remaining 40 percent of tribal members live in other parts of the state. Additional information about the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma can be found at http://seminolenation.com/.
Florida Department of Transportation
Safety, Mobility, Reliability