For Updates on the Pensacola Bay Bridge visit fdot.gov/PensacolaBay
Travel Updates Related to COVID-19
To renew a Florida Driver License or ID card, visit GoRenew.com. - Alerts.
Improve Safety, Enhance Mobility, Inspire Innovation
Office of Construction / Training
FDOT’s CTQP Policy Clarifications
During the transition of the Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT’s) Construction Training Qualification Program (CTQP) from a sole source to a multiple provider environment a variety of policy clarifications have been made. In order to provide an easy access to these clarifications they are published on the FDOT’s State Construction Office (SCO) web site and the CTQP Administrator’s web site also provides a link to that location. Where warranted, these policy clarifications may be included in future updates to the Construction Training Qualification Manual (CTQM). They will be removed from this list after such changes to the CTQM have become effective.
1) Any approved provider using any approved proctor or any approved instructor may offer challenge exams in any CTQP course so long as they are not proficiency exams, written exams that require grading by an approved instructor or exams which require the use of specialized facilities and equipment.
2) Any approved provider using an instructor approved to teach a specific CTQP course and using any specialized facilities and equipment required for examinations in that specific CTQP course, may offer challenge exams for that specific CTQP course including proficiency exams and written exams that require grading by an instructor approved to teach that specific CTQP course.
3) A provider approved to offer a specific CTQP course using an instructor approved to teach that specific CTQP course, and using any specialized facilities and equipment required for presentations and examinations in that specific CTQP course may offer instructional classes and exams for that specific CTQP course including proficiency exams and written exams that require grading by an instructor approved to teach that specific CTQP course.
4) All Providers are expected to adhere to the course durations, examination durations and restrictions on allowable open book reference materials during examinations which are shown in the course catalog published on the CTQP Administrator’s website. At the Providers option, the class duration may include an hour for independent review in the course presentation room immediately prior to the examination.
5) Any instructor approved to teach a CTQP course must be capable of teaching that course alone. Secondary Instructors will no longer be approved. An instructor may allow an assistant to provide part of the CTQP course presentation instruction, but any instructor using such an assistant must be in responsible charge of that assistant and must remain in the classroom during any portion of the CTQP course presentation made by that assistant.Please note that all Geotechnical instructors including assistants have to be approved by the Geotechnical TRT per CTQM Chapter 6.
6) The first time a Provider uses a specific instructor to present a specific CTQP course that Provider must notify the TRT Chair for that course, by an email message sent 15 days in advance, regarding the time and location of the planned presentation. This will allow the TRT Chairs or their delegates to observe the presentation if necessary. Providers shall allow these observers to attend both the class and examination presentations without charge. Providers are not expected to provide copies of the course handout or examination materials to the observer. The observer is not to interrupt or interact with the trainees or instructor during the presentation. The observer will take notes and report their findings to the TRT Chair. If the TRT Chair’s delegate observer is not a member of the TRT that delegate will carry an authorization from the TRT Chair for that delegate to act as an observer for that specific course presentation. The E-mail contact information for the TRT Chairs is available on the FDOT’s SCO Website … http://www.fdot.gov/construction/
7) Suggestions for changes to the CTQM are welcomed and should be mailed to the State Construction Training Administrator (SCTA) Susan Robeson. The text of the CTQM is available on the FDOT’s SCO Website … http://www.fdot.gov/construction/
8) The use of the CTQP name by providers in their advertising is acceptable where used as follows: “Approved Providers of FDOT’s CTQP courses. Other uses must be approved by the SCTA. The contact information for the SCTA is Telephone # 850-414-4141.
9) Use by Providers of the new CTQP calendar on the CTQP Administrator’s web site to post their course and examination offering times, dates, locations and costs is mandatory and a free service. Providers will be issued a Password and user ID for this calendaring system by the CTQP Administrator. Where a Provider believes a security breach may have occurred. They may contact the CTQP Administrator to receive a new password and /or user ID.
10) The FDOT prefers at least two weeks notice be given for the presentation of any CTQP courses and/or examinations, therefore course and or examination sessions offered by Providers should be posted on the new CTQP calendar on the CTQP Administrator’s web site at least 2 weeks in advance of the course start date. Contact the SCTA to request authorization for any exception to this policy. The contact information for the SCTA is Telephone # 850-414-4141
11) The FDOT prefers at least two weeks notice be given for the cancellation of any CTQP courses and/or examinations, therefore course and or examination cancellation notices by Providers should be posted on the new CTQP calendar on the CTQP Administrator’s web site at least 2 weeks in advance of the scheduled start date. Course and or examination cancellations with in two weeks of the scheduled date resulting from adverse weather events such as hurricanes or river flooding will be allowed and such changes will be made to the CTQP calendar by the CTQP Administrator upon request by the provider. Contact the SCTA to request authorization for the cancellation of any CTQP courses and/or examinations with in two weeks of their scheduled schedule start dates date for any other reason. The contact information for the SCTA is Telephone # (850) 414-4141.
12) Only Providers may purchase CTQP course examinations.
13) The SCTA is responsible for, and has the authority for, setting Policy for the CTQP, interpreting the CTQM and/or clarifying the CTQM. Anyone disagreeing with the SCTA’s decision on these matters may appeal that decision to the Director, Office of Construction in accordance with the process set forth for appeals of the SCTA’s decisions in CTQM Section 10.7.1.
14) Trainees at CTQP exams are allowed to use their own calculators including programmable calculators. Any trainee discovered bringing in, taking out or using prohibited information during a CTQP examination will be considered to be cheating on the examination. Manual or electronic transcription of the information will be considered the same for this purpose.
15) In the past the FDOT has developed “refresher courses” targeting an audience of current qualification holders who were only to be educated about recent changes in the field of their qualification. The existing “refresher courses” will be maintained until obsolete but no new “refresher courses” will be developed by the FDOT. The current options of taking the course and examination or just taking the examination will be maintained. The CTQP Course manuals will continue to be provided free on the CTQP Administrator’s website.
Florida Department of Transportation
Improve Safety, Enhance Mobility, Inspire Innovation