State Safety Office
Starting Your Program
Walking School Bus Resources
The SRTS Program is 100 percent funded, and is managed through the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) on a cost-reimbursement basis. Applications are submitted to the local FDOT District Safe Routes to School Coordinator. They can help you with any questions.
The following measures are critical:
- Projects will be awarded through a competitive process at the local FDOT level.
- Applications are reviewed at the District level for compliance with SRTS Guidelines.
- Applicants are encouraged to be as cost effective as possible so that more SRTS projects can be funded.
- Applicants must prioritize their requests and apply for no more than 5 projects during each Call for Applications.
- The Guidelines list examples of eligible and ineligible SRTS projects. Always check for the most recent version of the Guidelines, since they do evolve over time.