Surveying & Mapping
Electronic Field Book v3.3 Software
EFB 3 for Windows was developed by CAD Management Resources, Inc. for the department. It is supported by the department's Surveying and Mapping office in Tallahassee. Development began late in 2007 and EFB Version 3 was released for production in February 2012. EFB 3 was designed to mimic "DOS EFB" as closely as possible and to be a simple survey data collector, which interfaces with a fixed number of Total Station Instruments. EFB 3 collects measurement data for radial survey, cross sections, and differential leveling.
EFB 3 is a "Windows" based program and can run in a Windows Mobile 5.0 or newer and Windows CE 4.2 or newer environment, as long as the hand held data collector manufacture has not modified the Operating System. The Windows Mobile or Windows CE computer that EFB 3 runs on must have a 100% PC compatible serial port to correctly communicate with the available total stations. Bluetooth is also available for a few total stations and data collectors that support it. At present, EFB 3 is a new Program and will possibly have some programming bugs that were not found in beta testing. If you are having an issue please contact the Surveying and Mapping Office.
EFB v3.3 has several new features:
- Coordinate Geometry has been added.
- The RAW file has been replaced with a SDF file. Be sure to save a back up copy of the SDF file in another directory to preserve your original work.
- An OBS file can be exported directly from the data collector and the EFB Desktop.
- EFBP Processing is handled through the EFB Desktop.
- The CTL Tab allows a CTL File to be created or added to in the field with or without known positions.
- Import an OBS, CTL, XYZ and XML from the SDF file. This will override all existing point data in the SDF file. Make sure you have an original back up.
- Export current data to an OBS, CTL, and XML from the SDF file.
- Merge CTL and XYZ files into the SDF file. This will only add missing data to the SDF file and will not override existing data. If you need to update all data be sure to use the import function.
- Seed a New Segment copies the current segment data, point and chain names into the next segment to be used.
- Use CEFB Input Mode prompts the user to create a point or chain description from a predefined description through pick lists if available.
The EFB 3 data can be post-processed by the EFB Desktop included in the software download and operates in Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, utilizing EFBP or in conjunction with GEOPAK to produce finished field survey data. The EFB Desktop will produce final processed files that can be imported into CAiCE, GEOPAK or Civil 3D.
EFB Mobile Guide - This manual can also be found in the Help folder under EFB Mobile from the EFB Desktop and is intended to describe the operation of the Electronic Field Book system on the hand-held computer for field operations. This manual is available in either a PDF or HTML formats from the EFB Desktop.
EFB Desktop Manual - This manual is also available from the Help folder under EFB Desktop from the EFB Desktop and is intended to describe the operation of the Electronic Field Book Desktop system on the desktop or laptop computer. This manual is available in either a PDF or HTML format.
EFB Processing Handbook - A complete reference for use with the Electronic Field Book Data Processing System is also available in the Help folder under EFB Desktop from the Desktop computer.
EFB Processing Technical Reference - A complete technical reference for use with the Electronic Field Book Data Processing System is also available in the Help folder under EFB Desktop from the desktop computer.
EFB 3 is "freeware". You may download it free from the S&MO software page. User's documentation is included in the downloadable ZIP files.
FDOT Surveying & Mapping Office
605 Suwannee Street, Mail Station 5L
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0450
Phone: (850) 414-4111
Fax: (850) 414-4112