About the Toll Permit Program
The Toll Permit Program was created in 1988 to address concerns raised regarding individuals who, due to an
upper limb impairment, were unable to physically reach out to pay required tolls. The legislature passed the "Beverly Chapman
Act" with the intent to eliminate this barrier. Learn more about the "Beverly Chapman Act".
Download a Disabled Toll Permit Brochure Revised
The Toll Permit Program is a separate program from the Florida Department of Transportation's SunPass Program.
Partnering with the SunPass Program allows individuals who qualify for the Toll Permit (orange permit sticker) to apply for a Non-Revenue SunPass Mini Transponder.
If you have other questions or need more information regarding the Non-Revenue SunPass Mini Transponder, contact Reno Abbadini at SunPass Operations phone (561) 488-5312.
For all other inquiries concerning Florida Department of Transportation's SunPass Program please visit the website at SunPass.
The Toll Permit is issued when the following conditions, as specified in s. 338.155, Florida Statutes, are met:
- The individual has:
A. Severe and permanent upper limb mobility or dexterity impairments that substantially impairs him/her from tossing
coins into the baskets;
B. Has a valid driver's license;
C. And drives a specially equipped vehicle; and is therefore qualified for such a permit.
- The applicant provides a signed statement from the applicant's physician that he/she meets the physical disability eligibility requirements,
i.e., that he/she does have a severe and permanent upper limb mobility or dexterity impairment that substantially impairs him/her from tossing
coins into the basket.
- The applicant provides verification that the vehicle was modified with accessibility equipment.
- Verification is received from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, or the equivalent department in another state,
that the applicant does have a valid driver's license.
- Verification is received from the Florida Department of Health that the applicant's certifying physician is a licensed physician.
Frequently Asked Questions
Often people have many questions concerning the Toll Permit Program and we have complied a list
of Toll Permit Frequently Asked Questions which provides guidance on many of the Frequently Asked
Questions we receive or you can download the Toll Permit Frequently Asked Questions, right-click the link below and select, "Save target as".
Toll Permit Frequently Asked Questions Revised.
Toll Permit Application Forms
Proof of Insurance is required, the applicant must be listed on the policy.
Toll Permit Application Form Revised
Renewal Request Form Revised
Replacement Request Form Revised
- Duplicate Permits are issued ONLY to those patrons who return their existing permit.
- Replacement Permits are issued for lost or stolen permits and ONLY after existing permit has been canceled.
Additional Toll Permit Revised
- Additional Permits are issued to existing permit patrons for an additional vehicle.
SunPass Transponder Application Form Revised
- Only existing permit patrons can apply for a Non-Revenue SunPass Transponder.